Viñales, where agriculture is still king


A thatched hut where tobacco is aged

Agriculture is still very much the main industry in Viñales, but tourism is a very close second. When in Viñales a tour of a tobacco farm is a must, even if like me, you don’t smoke the stuff.

There are lots of tour operators that will offer a tour of a farm or you can arrange a tour privately through you local casa owner. Ours was just a fairly quick tour, but still gave us a good understanding on the growing process. Tobacco plant seeds a very tine and fine and planting happens in the winter.

Into the fields

Once harvested, about 6-8 weeks after planting, the leaves need to be cured, fermented, and aged, all of which takes a total of one year (in some cases aging continues past the two-year point!). Due to the microclimate found in the Viñales area, the soil is full of flavour, which helps the Cuban tobacco to stand out from the rest of the world. Each tobacco farm is required to send 90% of their harvest to the state and the remaining 10% is theirs to use and sell locally. Each farmer has their own recipe for fermenting and aging, our farmer uses pineapple as one of the ingredients.

Hand rolling a cigar, Viñales, Cuba

Once the leaves are ready, cigars are rolled by hand. Firstly, the leaves are stripped of their main veins as they contain 70% or so of the nicotine (the veins don’t go to waste, as they are used as fertilizer, pesticide, and other items) and then are expertly rolled into cigars. The outer layer gets particular attention to ensure it is even and seamless. Then each cigar gets rolled into some paper for further aging, anywhere from a month to a year, before it is ready to be enjoyed.

Ox and cart, or horse and cart are used by the majority of locals

Nearly everyone seems to have a horse and cart

 

Traditional methods are used to plant, grow and harvest the tobacco plants as mechanical methods will have an affect on the quality of the soil and the plants, which would devalue the harvest, so Cubans are sticking to their time honored traditions of using ox and horse.

Manual methods are still the norm in Viñales

When buying cigars outside of Viñales make sure you go to a Casa del Habano, the official Cuban cigar shop, they can be found all over Cuba, and in Havana they are also to be found in some of the modern hotels. Under no circumstance (unless it is for research) should you buy cigars from a street vendor. The cigars offered are fakes and are usually made from banana leaves (wrapped in a tobacco leaf) or substandard tobacco leaves that would not pass the quality control of the regular factories. As everywhere in the world these fakes look very realistic, and the price is very attractive, but you will be deeply disappointed once you light up!

 

Categories: Cuba | Tags: , , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Post navigation

2 thoughts on “Viñales, where agriculture is still king

  1. Love this series, Simone! Interesting to read and the accompanying pix are great. The fact that 90% of the harvest goes to the state doesn’t seem fair.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: